Thursday, May 31, 2012

Crafting

Three posts in one day is a little much but I wanted to establish here... just a few pictures of craft and free time from a few weeks ago for the kids and a link to an article about crafting.

For my birthday I got a few books about making felt creatures from my dad. :)

I feel like I am way too serious and this will help - that and my husband and kids being able to crack me up (this balances out the infuriating effect that they can also have ha ha) - anyhoo, I found this article about how important crafting is for kids.  Here is an amazing quote:

"It [crafting] has been shown to increase intelligence in seemingly unrelated areas."

There have been studies on the effects of say, knitting on the mind of the knitter and how it is pretty much the same as meditation!! I simply love hand sewing but have never really found myself too crafty, despite my genetics. I have some really crafty and artsy relatives. Aside from painting a few times a year, I really don't find myself wanting to craft and haven't passed that on to my kids.

But the simple creatures in the aranzo aranzi books are really fun. There are some pretty funny little descriptions in the book and it really ends up cheering us up and is super fun. I'm almost done with a robot panda for Little Y but Sissy made these creatures completely uniquely...there are no limes or pirates in the book and the faces were completely unique and funny that she made:

pirate lime couple. respect it.

Brother is still into lego building and is realllly into his Percy Jackson book series currently, so that takes his free time (does he even have free time because Little Y always wants to wrastle?)...he also loves making little comics and he has started his sketch book again. He really isn't as into lego as he was a couple years ago, but he did this one the other day - just a little vehicle contraption -  but takes patience nonetheless and I'm always happy to see what comes from my little guy.


So yeah, free time, projects, structured learning, independent projects --- Roots and Wings Academy is in business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment