Thursday, October 11, 2012

non-traditional week

The public school will soon be taking two solid weeks off for fall break. I use these times as a guide to allow our little school some breaks. I definitely needed it. Some days I really don't feel I have my sanity left. It isn't school so much as it is the particular stages that each child is currently in. Baby is still clingy. We also found out she is a bit low-iron and I think it makes her tired and more grumpy than normal (I know how she feels, as I am also low iron etc, etc.)

We took Monday and Tuesday "off", even though we actually did activities. I think I am going to call it like it is, "unschooling". Unschooling weeks can be even more hectic, draining, and just more "busy" as they are *doing* things. I spent all afternoon Tuesday with ALLL the kids in the kitchen looking over shoulders as they learned to bake a cake from scratch. Measuring, pouring, stirring, and following directions is NOT something to take for granted as a skill. Making your way around a kitchen can save them thousands of dollars and their health in the process as we talk about healthy choices (I hope I am never audited on this claim because I seriously doubt we are "healthy". Maybe just not "unhealthy".).

It really is a priority for them to learn to take care of themselves and all three of them have a passion for cooking, baking, and fixing food. It's really wonderful.

So we did that.

And then today we spent houuurssss once again learning how to draft a plan, cut out a pattern, and stitch (properly).

For my eldest it was a lesson that has taken many tries to accomplish. Slowww down. Learn it. Take direction. Lose the attitude. Those are things we struggle with. But, you know what? She did it! She asked for help, she got frustrated a few times, but she kept at it and completed a project correctly.

I am proud.

My eldest son made his little creation more interesting but he was getting tired and some of it was learning even more types of stitches since he mastered the blanket stitch. It is just easy to mess up and these exercises are great for learning focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment